2.15.2010

And if I die before I wake...

I went to another funeral today, and am in another, some would say "morbid", but I would call it "sober" mood. I created a "just in case" funeral file on my Mac when I got home.  That may sound morbid-- a seventeen year old planning her funeral.  But there are certain things I want said, read, and sung.  Life is a vapor.  A breath.  Why should I plan on living ninety-two years? What guarantee do I have? My only guarantee, and it is more than enough, is that I will live forever!
Creating a hypothetical scenario, just to help you think with me, what it would look like...

If I didn't wake up tomorrow morning...
If I had a brain aneurism which is what had been giving me headaches...
If last summer was my last time working at camp...
If last summer was my first and last time seeing my relatives in California...
If last year was my first and last time participating in Bible Bee...
If last fall was my last bonfire...
If this Christmas was my last holiday season...
If last month was my last time sledding at camp...
If my birthday was the last chance I had to see my cousins...
If last Sunday was my last time to serve at church...
If last Sunday was my final time talking to my friends about God...
If last night was my last time watching the Olympics...
If last night was my last time holding my little brother in my lap...
If last night was my last time to give my dad a good night hug...
If today was my last time to read my Bible...
If today was my last time to do Algebra 2(hallelujah!)...
If today was my last time to fold a load of clothes...
If today was my last time to sing...
If today was my last time to speak to my siblings...
If today was my last time to tell my mom how much I love her...
If today was my last time to write on this blog...
If today was my last chance to be a blessing...
If today was my last chance to walk worthy and please my God...
If I didn't wake up tomorrow morning...
If Friday was my funeral, and people on earth talked about what I had done with my life...
If tonight I was with God in heaven, seeing my life pass before the eyes of heaven...

What would I have done differently?
James 4:13 says, "Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit"; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away."

If today had been my last, would I have regrets?
It has been said, "Live every day as if it were your last." 
If we really lived that way, what would our lives look like?

Psalm 90:12 "So teach us to number our days, That we may gain a heart of wisdom."


2 comments:

Rita***** said...

Wow Soph!!! You almost made me cry there when you said "Maybe the last time watching the Olypmics...". just kidding:) You did almost make me tear up though at part of it. I love you tons! What if this is my last time posting on your blog...

Hannah said...

Very sobering but good to remember. As it says in Ecclesiastes, It is better to be in the house of mourning than feasting. Thanks for the reminder.