2.09.2010

Walking Worthy

Colossians 1:9-10 “For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;”


Birthdays have the same affect on me as a new year. Today I am celebrating my 17th birthday. I look back on this year, and see how good God has been, how much as changed in my heart and life. Jesus is so much sweeter to my soul than He was a year ago. And yet, I long to be infinitely nearer! I want to be so close to Him, that when I speak, His Words come forth. I want to be so passionate, that as soon as someone met me, they would know that I love Him. I want to be so pure, that there is never a cause to question my motives. I want to be so like Him, that He is reflected in every action of mine.

For this, the eighteenth year of my life, I have chosen the verse listed above as my prayer and goal: “That I may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God.”
I want to take this verse apart, seeing what this will mean for me.



WALKING WORTHY - What that I could do could possibly be worthy of the Lord? I feel more like Simon Peter - "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!" And I feel like Job, when faced with the splendor of the Lord, “Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes."
And yet, somehow it is possible THROUGH THE SPIRIT, since many passages refer to “walking worthy.”

Eph 4:1-2 “I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love,”
Walking worthy means I don’t try to exalt myself over others, but am gentle and humble, helping others along. It means I must be patient, as Christ was, and loving, with a 1st Corinthians 13, sacrificing love.


Philippians 1:27 “Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel,”               
Walking worthy means being unified and standing firm with other believers, not picking fights, working together to bring others to Christ.

Matthew 10:37 "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.”
Walking worthy means that I love Christ above all else, and more than anyone else. He must be my all in all.


2Thessalonians 1:4-5 “so that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure, which is manifest evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you also suffer;”
Acts 5:41 So they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name.”
Walking worthy means I shouldn’t be surprised if I must suffer for Christ, but “count it all joy” because it is a honor to bring glory to the name of Christ by our perseverance.

 1Thessalonians 4:1 “Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God;”
Walking worthy means that I should be “abounding more and more”-ever growing more and more like Christ, never staying stagnant or complacent.


I both hate and love the fact that I can never be perfect while on this earth. I hate it because it    means I can never be a perfect reflection of Him, never be completely without fault. However, I also love it, because if I could be a perfect reflection of Him, then I wouldn’t be as much in awe of how great He is. If I could be a perfect reflection of Him, I wouldn’t need to rely on Him. If I could be a perfect reflection of Him, then I wouldn’t get the privilege of spending my life seeking after Him, as He grows increasingly sweeter every day.

 
Heb 11:16 “But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.”
Walking worthy means that I live for the day that can be with Him, not growing too comfortable in this world.


“Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God…” Ultimately, this is what walking worthy is: that God would gladly claim me as His own, that He would not be ashamed by being “my God!” That He would feel no shame in my being called a “little Christ.” That God would feel no shame in saying, “Oh, Sophie? Yes, she is mine.”


2 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Happy Birthday Sophie! Those are great goals for this next year of your life!
I love that last little paragraph were you said that walking worthy is that "God would gladly claim me as his own". Makes me want to make sure that I do not disappoint Him. That I am an effective witness for Him, that He is GLAD that I call Him my God. If I call Him my God then I need to live like it! Thanks for your post!
-Amanda
p.s. I was really encouraged by your "About Me".

Sophie said...

Thanks, Amanda! I really appreciate the encouragement! You keep up your blog, too--very neat!
If even one person is drawn nearer to the Savior through my writing...then it is all worth it!