9.18.2011

Reflections on a Drizzly Day

Ahhh...deep breath. It is raining, 64 degrees, and I am drinking a Chai tea latte at the kitchen table of my home sweet home. I love days like this! It is my church's anniversary Sunday (16 years!) and we had an afternoon service, so no evening service. What a blessing! I needed a moment to pause, to consider, to catch up on study, to blog!

College life is going well! I am more busy than I anticipated or planned, but am enjoying it!  God is teaching me a lot about relying on His grace, and setting my mind on Him in the midst of a busy schedule!

Our God is a powerful God. He is eternal, unchanging, and perfectly holy in His very essence. He has always existed, and will always exist--which gives me the confidence to fully give Him my life! As I study in Bible college, I read the Bible, study the Bible, read commentaries on the Bible, take quizzes about the Bible ALL THE TIME! But do I love the Bible? Do I desire it above EVERYTHING IN MY LIFE? Do I yearn to be in it more, searching out what God has to say to me? Not as often as I should! But I want to want to want Him more every day! I yearn for Him to be my all-consuming passion, above good grades, friendships, family, and any other pursuits that may distract from my relationship with Him!

One of my all-time favorite passages is Philippians 3:7-14, which I will post here compliments of Bible Gateway!

"But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."


I think I've finally come to the point that I could call this my life passage. Everything else fades away in the light of this desire!  Though I often fall short of this passion, this is where I want to be! Everything I listed before, all the temporary desires, are rubbish, literally DUNG! My good desires become wrong desires when they take the place of desiring Christ! 

Only Christ can satisfy my heart, overflowing my soul with peace, contentment, and joy! Oh, that I may be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, but His! Not clinging to "stuff", but counting them but loss! Not claiming perfection on my own accord, but pressing on to become like the One whom I love with all my soul! 

If my life is centered around these verses, even in busy times, I will not quit or be overwhelmed. What really matters is Christ. 

No comments: