9.02.2010

Whoever desires to save his life...

"Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny Himself, take up His cross, and follow Me.  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses His life for My sake's and the gospel's will save it.  For what shall is profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?  For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels." Mark 8:34-38

How would my life change if I fully took in the implications of these words of the Master?
Consider how your life would be different if you "lost your life" while living?
What are you living for instead of the glory of God? 
Are you going through life ashamed of the words of Christ? 

I have to say that I cannot answer what I would like to.  I know there are areas in my life that are not denying myself, that are not for the gospel's sake, that are not worthy of the title "follower of Christ."

Whenever you say "I am a Christian" --you are proclaiming yourself to be a disciple (or follower) of Christ, but does the way you live back it up?  Are you ashamed to LIVE like a follower? 

Denying yourself, taking up your cross...does not sound "fun," but wake up call--LIFE IS NOT ABOUT HAVING FUN, IT'S ABOUT GLORIFYING GOD!

The life lived for God may seem like a waste to the world, it may not be "fun" or "easy" --but's it's the only way of life that will be full of joy, peace, and contentment.  It's worth it. 

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God's Word is so powerful! I felt a part of me flinching as I read that Scripture, yet another part of me longs to live like that so much! I continue to pray to die to self completely, and to live unashamed of the Gospel of life. Thank you for this reminder!

In Christ,
Annie

Lil' em said...

hmmm... wonder why these verses sound familiar??? :) I love them! Thanks for the reminder to apply the things I've learned and know so well! I love the passion and clarity that you use, and complete focus on Christ! Keep it up! I love you!